A few words about Aguas Calientes
The only way for anyone to reach or leave Aguas Calientes is by train or on foot. The train service is essential for the economy of the town, both for bringing in goods and, of course tourists. The nearest road is a 2 hour walk away, at a hydro-electric dam. Imagine how isolated it was before the train service commenced. I saw a sign celebrating 25 years of the Machu Picchu train, so I'd imagine there wasn't much before that.
The train comes right along the street, and locals load and unload the various goods that are being traded. That train is used by locals and backpackers, while the Machu Picchu train is more upmarket, for the softies!!
Goods are transported around town in hand-carts. Some are motorised, and I noticed that it was the younger men who used those. Some of the carters seemed quite old.
If you ever go there, the steep streets of Aguas Calientes will prepare you for the Machu Picchu climb!
Gringo killers!
The real Machu Picchu!
This could be my last mention of Machu Picchu, so I should share an important piece of information with you. The name Machu Picchu means Old Mountain. The Old Mountain looks down on the archaeological site that we all know and love, and that hill behind us is actually the Young Mountain, Huaynapicchu. Just needed to clarify that 😉





It looks very green there
ReplyDelete