Andean Towns

Today we passed through a few towns on our journeys to and from the ancient sites. I made a few observations,  and learned a few interesting things. 

Every town we passed through was a hive of activity. Unlike a lot of towns at home, which are soulless and tired, these towns have every kind of business from a cake shop to a mechanic's literally side by side. Whatever you want, you can get it in town; building supplies, furniture, dentist, haidressers and of course cafés.  I didn't see anyone walking down the street with a take away coffee!  I didn't see any vape shops, and very few mobile phone places!

As well as shops there are lots of stalls.





Some scenes above from Urubamba 

Our guide mentioned that Cuy, roasted guinea pig is a delicacy in these parts, usually eaten on special occasions. It's skewered on a stick and cooked over a wood fire! One town we passed through, Lamay, obviously does the best. There were loads of places advertising it, with big gaudy statues of smiling guinea pigs enticing you in! Maybe I'll try it before I leave Peru. If I do I'll report back. (Probably,  "it tastes like chicken"!!)
Don't want to put you off your dinner but here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5D699accE

Another sight in the towns we passed through was children coming home from school. They all wear really smart uniforms, with sparkling white shirts! And boys and girls wear big floppy sunhats in the school colours.

Driving around we couldn't understand why petrol seemed to be so expensive- about €4 per litre. Until we found out that they price fuel by the gallon here (in a metric country). You can do the maths, but it's cheaper than anywhere I know of in Europe. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog